is the process of verifying the identity of a person based on their biological or behavioral characteristics.
- Fingerprints, face, iris, voice, gait, and even writing patterns
- It is more secure, user-friendly, and simpler to use
- Presents several challenges:
- Accuracy – people get old, suffer accidents, a challenge for recognition software
- Security – the data is very sensitive. Security mechanisms are paramount
- Privacy – biometric data have too much information about a person.
- Security and Privacy are highly connected. The data saved and used is about the person.
- Usability – It should be simple to use
- It is becoming more common day by day. Face recognition in smartphones, for instance.